Campus chaplaincy creates an inclusive space for spiritual care

Jacqueline Huo
July 2, 2024

The McMaster Chaplaincy Centre offers spiritual care and support to all members of the McMaster community.

The McMaster Chaplaincy Centre is part of the Student Success Centre’s spiritual care and learning services. The chaplaincy is run by a team of chaplains who are trained in spiritual counseling, crisis response and various religious practices. Together, they are creating a welcoming, 2SLGBTQIA+ inclusive space for students to discuss and receive support for their concerns.

Chaplaincy is traditionally a program that provides spiritual care from a Christian perspective. McMaster has a Christian Reformed chaplain and a Roman Catholic chaplain for students seeking support within these specific denominations. However, there is no religious requirement to attend the chaplaincy.

Marlice Simon, the interim ecumenical chaplain, supports the broader community, including students from different religions and those who do not identify with a religion. She also explained how she welcomes members of the queer community.

“[My] role as ecumenical chaplain is first to create a safe space, a safe space in terms of gender diversity, safe space if students are looking for somebody to confide in. It doesn’t matter what the need is. [My] role is just to continuously be a light so that you can see the light that is within yourself,” said Simon.

[My] role as ecumenical chaplain is first to create a safe space, a safe space in terms of gender diversity, safe space if students are looking for somebody to confide in. It doesn’t matter what the need is. [My] role is just to continuously be a light so that you can see the light that is within yourself.

Marlice Simon
Interim Ecumenical Chaplain
McMaster Chaplaincy Centre

During the academic year, the chaplaincy runs a variety of programs to foster connection. Every Wednesday, they host "Soup and Spirit" — formerly Soup and Selah — offering free soup and a space to relax. At the end of each semester, they also run an exam hospitality program, which provides hot chocolate and snacks while encouraging students to destress
and chat with the chaplains.

The chaplaincy website publicly states that they are completely 2SLGBTQIA+ friendly and will use your correct pronouns. Their FAQ page reads, “Whoever you are, whomever you love, you are a good gift and you are loved just as you are.”

The chaplaincy promotes an inclusive environment by displaying the progress pride flag in their window.

“When students are coming down the hall, that’s the first thing they see. We call it the “light in the tunnel” so that they can see that this is a place and that they can come in. When students come in, if they’re in distress or whatever the case is, the first thing I let them know is that I see their humanity,” said Simon.

When students are coming down the hall, that’s the first thing they see. We call it the “light in the tunnel” so that they can see that this is a place and that they can come in. When students come in, if they’re in distress or whatever the case is, the first thing I let them know is that I see their humanity.

Marlice Simon
Interim Ecumenical Chaplain
McMaster Chaplaincy Centre

The chaplaincy’s website states that their core values are inclusion and overall approach is to be non-judgemental. Simon explained that this attitude encourages and empowers students to freely express themselves.

“Students deserve the opportunity and the right to be loved and to express love in the way that they choose to. They deserve freedom and safe spaces to be in. And more should be done to encourage students to live in their authentic truth and in their authentic way without any kind of parameters and barriers,” said Simon.

Students deserve the opportunity and the right to be loved and to express love in the way that they choose to. They deserve freedom and safe spaces to be in. And more should be done to encourage students to live in their authentic truth and in their authentic way without any kind of parameters and barriers,

Marlice Simon
Interim Ecumenical Chaplain
McMaster Chaplaincy Centre

Creating a welcoming space does present some challenges. Simon has been repeatedly questioned for supporting 2SLGBTQIA+ students within the chaplaincy.

“I think the most sadness that I face is when I have to continuously in present-day defend the creation of a safe space for students. Now, the challenges are not overly aggressive in that we feel unsafe that we’re doing this. It’s just that it continuously comes up all the time,” she said.

Despite this push-back, the chaplaincy continues to have a positive impact. “The programming that we offer, I think they are really needed. The students are so excited and so receptive and so thankful,” said Simon.

If you’re looking for guidance, a listening ear, or simply a place to sit and be yourself, check out the McMaster Chaplaincy Centre. Located in MUSC 231, it’s open Monday to Wednesday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. or by appointment. Full drop-in hours and regular programming will return in September.

Author