Hamilton's air quart is improving but there is still a ways to go

Outside factors, including forest fires, are lowering the air quality in the city

Clean and fresh air is fundamental to a healthy life. Yet, in well-developed countries, such as Canada, citizens are still often faced with poor air quality due to pollutants.

There are a number of pollutants that can affect the air quality in the city, including benzene and benzo(a)pyrene, which typically come from industry and the incomplete combustion of fossil fuels, sulphur dioxide, nitrogen dioxide and particulate matter such as road dust and pollen, among others. Breathing in these pollutants over long periods of time can lead to a number of health issues

The state of Hamilton’s air quality has been a concern for decades, particularly given how the quality varies across different locations in the city. For example, the air quality in downtown Hamilton is often different than that in west Hamilton. 

Air quality in the city has improved over the years, with levels of many of these pollutants dropping. Benzene and benzo(a)pyrene have decreased across the city, though they still do exist in higher concentrations than recommended by the Ministry of Environment, Conservation and Parks.

Levels of sulphur dioxide and nitrogen dioxide have both increased in Hamilton’s industrial core and particulate matter have increased in west Hamilton. The former is likely a result of the industry located there, but the later largely is the result of pollution coming from outside the city through air systems.

Clean Air Hamilton is an organization that engages in research and advocacy for better air quality in Hamilton. Founded in 1998, the multi-stakeholder organization has members affiliated with a variety of groups, such as McMaster University, Mohawk College, the Ontario Ministry of the Environment, the City of Hamilton, and US Steel Canada

“We have come a long way. Does that mean air quality is perfect? No. We know there’s still room to change things, to improve things,” said Bruce Newbold, chairman of Clean Air Hamilton and a professor at McMaster University’s school of Earth, Environment and Society.

To further fuel the problem are pollutants that come from outside the city. Last summer, in July 2021, Environment Canada issued a pollution warning in Hamilton resulting from the smoke of the forest fires that affected upwards of 130 forests in Northern Ontario. 

"So much of our air pollution isn't generated in the city. It comes into the city from the outside... Some of it is industrial air pollution and events like the forest fires last year. All of these factors impact our local air quality," said Newbold

Higher heat days can also promote poorer air quality and as we move into the summer it’s important for citizens to be conscious of this.

"Make yourself aware of the resources and tools that you have available such as the air quality health index. Typically, high-heat days are an indicator of poor air quality, and so you can avoid outdoor activities when the air quality is low," said Newbold.

The current trends are promising but there is still a ways to go, particularly given the pollution contributed by external factors. Clean Air Hamilton is currently working on smaller scale analysis projects to monitor the air pollution within the different areas in Hamilton as well as education efforts in conjunction with local environmental groups.