Hiatus in Hamilton

Michelle Yeung

For many, the fall break offers an opportunity to indulge in the toasty warmth of various pumpkin spice flavoured beverages shared with friends and family back home. Amidst a busy midterm season, many students find solace in some time off to relax and recharge. Although most Marauders return to their respective hometowns, some remain in the city. If you are around next week, consider taking a day to explore what Hamilton has to offer. The Silhouette takes you out on a date with this day-guide for your day out this reading week.

Grab Some Grub
Start your day off by fuelling up with some great food. The food culture in Hamilton is unbelievable, with local staples and new spots that offer exciting and high-quality cuisine.

If you want to go to an area that features an array of cool shops, local cafés and incredible restaurants, Locke Street is the place for you. Some reputable places to grab a bite include Naroma Pizza Bar, Earth to Table Bread Bar and The Burnt Tongue. You can also find some of the best gelato in the city at Amo Gelato. Also check out some of the best bagels and bagel sandwiches in Hamilton at the historical Locke Street Bakery, which just returned to the culinary scene with its grand opening on October 1.

Moving into the downtown core, The Ship and HAMBRGR are great places to grab a hearty and incredibly well-made burger, among other items on the menu. If you’re in the mood for some Mexican food, reach Mezcal or The Mule for an eclectic twist on traditional tacos. Going down James Street North, some notable restaurants include Salt Lick, Lake Road and a new spot called Bar Izakaya.

Be At One With Nature
Hamilton isn’t known as the waterfall capital of the world for nothing. There are few things in life better than taking a scenic walk after a solid meal, and what better way to do so than embarking on a scenic trail that leads to a stunning landmark? According to Hamilton Waterfalls, the city’s online resource for all things waterfall related, Hamilton’s top three waterfalls are Albion Falls, Borer’s Falls and Buttermilk Falls, in descending order of ranking. Each of these falls vary in time, distance and accessibility, so be sure to check out the Hamilton waterfall website for more details.

Coffee and Chill
Wind down with a nice cup of coffee, tea or café beverage at one of the many local coffee shops in Hamilton when the afternoon gets a little late and lazy. Bring a good book to Pinecone Coffee, Durand Coffee or Cafe Oranje, all of which feature cozy and laid-back spaces with great pastries to boot.

Grab a Drink
What better way to end your day off than grabbing a couple drinks with some good friends? At night, The Mule and The Ship transform into solid watering holes. Other popular bars include Bar on Locke, The Baltimore House and, of course, The Snooty Fox. On Sunday nights, Snooty’s hosts a weekly karaoke night; it’s always a great time, but be sure to get there early to beat the crowd. Perhaps the best bar in the city, however, is The Brain on James Street North. Take a seat on their back patio or have a beer inside in their dimly-lit atmosphere and enjoy some of the best cocktails in town.