Kyle Quinlan named McMaster football co-offensive coordinator

December 1, 2016
Est. Reading Time: 1 minute

What's old is new again.

Kyle Quinlan, the former McMaster quarterback who took the Marauders to two Vanier Cups, winning one in 2011, will be back on the Ron Joyce Stadium sidelines come September 2017. McMaster athletics announced that Quinlan will be the co-offensive coordinator. The team will announce the other offensive coordinator and staffing changes next week.

"I am excited and honoured to have this opportunity to come back to McMaster," exclaimed the native of South Woodslee, Ontario.  "I'm definitely looking forward to coaching beside Coach Greg Knox and representing the Marauder program in the OUA and U Sports."

In 2016, Quinlan was the offensive coordinator for the York Lions. The Lions went 2-6 on the season, but scored seven more touchdowns than the previous campaign. In 2015, Quinlan was the head coach and offensive coordinator for the Holland Hurricanes, a college team based in Prince Edward Island that plays in the Atlantic College Athletic Association. The squad won the championship that year.

Quinlan takes over for Jon Behie, who left the program on Nov. 24. The 2012 Hec Creighton winner was an assistant coach for the Marauders in 2013 and 2014.

With York, Quinlan's offence finished second in the league in pass attempts. Behie told the Hamilton Spectator that head coach Greg Knox "wanted us to play a certain way," meaning more emphasis on the running game. What Mac's offence looks like will be one of the key storylines for the start of next season.

Mac football has other holes to fill on the coaching staff, including quarterbacks coach and offensive line coach, as Adam Archibald and Jason Riley left the program at the end of November.