Marauders football team to face Gee-Gees in first playoff game

Alexandra Reilly

Coming off of a 45-3 victory over the Carleton Ravens on Oct. 19, the Marauders can move onto the playoffs with a little extra confidence.

McMaster finished off the OUA regular season in fourth place and are set to face the team they currently remain tied with in the standings. The Ottawa Gee-Gees, who the Marauders beat in their home opener game back viagra pfizer uk in August, currently remain tied with McMaster, both teams holding 10 points, with each securing five wins on the season.

Assistant Coach for the Marauders Jon Behie is hopeful for a positive outcome for the Marauders football squad, but also understands that it will be a very different Ottawa team faced against them this weekend.

“Ottawa is a veteran team and the score from week one is not indicative of the caliber of team they are,” said Behie.

“They have athletes at important spots and are playing with a lot of confidence. There's no question this game will be a challenge, which is ok...it is the playoffs after all.”

Not only have the Marauders secured a quarterfinal playoff game, but they will also be playing for their home crowd, with a sea of Maroon expected to attend the game on Saturday afternoon.

“Being at home gives us such an advantage,” said Behie “…and I hope our Marauder faithful fill Ron Joyce Stadium to cheer us on.”

A home game is definitely an advantage for the Marauders and will give them an upper hand on the Gee-Gee’s.

Veteran wide receiver Mike DiCroce is looking forward to the challenge ahead keeping in mind this Ottawa team will definitely give the Marauders a run for their money.

“We know they have some talented players and some CFL caliber guys, we need to set the level of intensity and effort the whole game,” said DiCroce.

It is all about Marauder execution and striking early against the Gee-Gee’s in order to set the tone for the remainder of the game.

“Our challenge this week is executing in what we do, we cannot beat ourselves and put ourselves in a hole,” DiCroce added.

“We have both grown as a unit throughout the year and I think we need to stick to what we do best and compete across the board.”

Both teams have grown this season and this weekend’s battle will set one team apart, giving them the tiebreaker within the OUA rankings.

The last time the Marauders faced the Gee-Gees this season was at the home opener on Aug. 25 at Ron Joyce Stadium.

The Marauders came a way with a 51-24 victory and their first win to start the 2013 season. The game is set to begin at 1:00 p.m. on Oct. 26 at Ron Joyce Stadium.