McMaster figure skating lands in the top 10

Alexandra Reilly

It was a big weekend for the McMaster figure skating squad who had six podium finishes and placed fifth overall in the annual Ontario University Athletics Winter Invitational held on Jan. 27 in London, Ont.

The McMaster figure skating team will now continue on in their journey to an OUA Championship as their results from this weekend’s competition improve their ranking from their previous competition results, which they acquired in November of last year.

Receiving points in almost every category, the Marauders finished with the most podium finishes and the highest total score in the team’s history.

The first event of the day saw the team get in a positive flow as the duo of Riley Allison and Marissa Bradley placed McMaster on the board with their first points of the day.

Allison and Bradley continued to impress placing third in the Intermediate Similar.

In the next event the Dance Fours team consisting of Melissa Sieradzski- Jones, Savannah Colameco, Behan Pulla and Julie-Anne Mendoza placed second in their first season debut.

A second pairs team also received a podium finish when Emily Steif and Emily Buddo placed second in the Junior Silver pairs event.

The second day of competition showed no signs of the Marauders faultering as Jennifer Pattem started off the day with a second place finish in the Short program event. Pettem continued to be a strong staple in McMaster’s success along with partner Alexandra Kourjounakis who had a second place finish in the Gold Creative Dance event.

That event would mark two second place finishes for Jennifer Pettem in the OUA Winter Invitational.

To finish off the successful weekend for the Marauders, Ryley Goodhand placed third in the Open Solo Dance event, bringing McMaster’s final team standings to a record high 51 points.

The Marauders will continue on the competition train moving onto the OUA Championships in February hosted in Toronto by Ryerson University.