MSU Presidential candidates revealed

Steven Chen

devante

Devante Mowatt

Life Sciences (Honours)

Level IV

"This may be a little selfish, but I want to see the school from a different perspective. I want to be able to change something in my school. I feel like a lot of universities, changing your own grades is about you, it's very personal. And I want to be able to provide for other people. I want to be able to say "I have an idea" or "you guys have an idea", "let me know, let me get your voice and then I want to change it for you guys" Seeing the university in a different perspective can change how you feel about school entirely, because everyone is always in the same: I am a student. I am a student. I am a student. And some people are going to be students for the rest of their lives; and that is totally fine, but I feel that if I have the chance to be something different than a student, I am going to take it."

[spacer height="default"]

jonathan

Jonathon Tonietto

Materials Science and Engineering with Society and Co-op

Level VI

"I have been at this school for six years, which is now a quarter of my life. A lot of people feel that university take from them, I feel like this university has only given to me and I think that in this position, I would be able to give back to this school the way it has given to me."

[spacer height="default"]

justin

Justin Monaco-Barnes

English and Cultural Studies

Level IV

"The main reason why I am running for MSU president is that I have been very involved from both an MSU standpoint as well as a student standpoint. I have gotten to work with a lot of passionate people who are very passionate about their own projects, whether they are part-time or full-time, or just general students. I would love to work with them more at a different kind of level. And to bring in certain ideas that can really impact everyone. It is kind of the idea of being a leader and working with these people that are so passionate with the student life."

[spacer height="default"]

mike

Mike Gill

Integrated Sciences concentrating in Mathematics

Level IV

"I'm running for MSU President because I believe that our campus and students are capable of really big exciting change and I think that it is time we start addressing the largest problems facing us as students here at Mac. Personally, I have benefited a ton from my time during the MSU. I have grown so much, I have met so many great people, but I know that a lot of people don't have that experience. So I am excited to see our organization do more, especially for those students who aren't involved and don't want to be involved. I think that together we can do a whole lot more to prioritize academics, employment, all sorts of things that extend beyond this MSU organization."

[spacer height="default"]

sarah

Sarah Jama

Social Psychology

Level IV

"I am running for MSU President because I really want to make sure that student voices are being brought to the table that aren't being listened to during the conversations of student leadership and student government. I want to make sure that we are bringing as many voices to the table as possible."

[spacer height="default"]

The campaign will officially begin Sunday, Jan. 17 at 12 p.m. Stay tuned at thesil.ca/category/msu2016 for ongoing coverage of the election.