Small fire cleared at A.N. Bourns Building

Tyler Welch
September 30, 2013
This article was published more than 2 years ago.
Est. Reading Time: 1 minute

A small fire in the A.N. Bourns Building that evacuated students, staff and faculty was put out earlier today.

A fire alarm in the building was pulled at 12:21 p.m, causing the building to be evacuated for about 1 hour. The Hamilton Fire Department responded promptly to the alarm and worked with McMaster Security Services to investigate the source.

It was determined that the alarm went off due to smoke from a fan belt motor being seized in a fan on a roof. Friction from the belt caused a small amount of smoke, wafting into the vents and filling parts of the building with a slight burning smell.

Facilities Services repaired the fan and the alarm was cleared at 1:19 p.m.

Students, staff and faculty were able to re-enter the building and it is now fully operational.

Author

Subscribe to our Mailing List

© 2022 The Silhouette. All Rights Reserved. McMaster University's Student Newspaper.
magnifiercrossmenuarrow-right