The PCC is making history with Mac’s first Queer Prom

The MSU Pride Community Centre’s first Queer Prom promises music, donuts and a surprise celeb performance

This year, the McMaster Students Union Pride Community Centre is hosting their first Queer Prom at the Art Gallery of Hamilton on Mar. 3. The event is in collaboration with EngiQueers and Queer and Trans Colour Club.  

Although this is the PCC’s first time hosting this event, 2SLGBTQIA+ social advocacy group Fruit Salad: Hamilton Edition held Hamilton’s first Queer Prom in June 2022. The event was also held at the Art Gallery of Hamilton and brought in attendees from all over the province.  

The tradition of 2SLGBTQIA+ safe dances have been important in queer spaces all over the world for several years. In 1995, one of the very first recorded queer proms in America was organized in Hayward, California.  

In a 2014 documentary covering the Hayward Gay Prom, participants detail how this tradition allows 2SLGBTQIA+ youth to safely experience one of the most romanticized milestones of American youth.  

Avery Kemble, assistant director of the PCC, shared that these ideas rang true to McMaster’s 2023 Queer Prom. Kemble explained that this event aims to provide the queer community an opportunity to experience an inclusive, safe and fun prom. Kemble explained that some students may not have had this opportunity previously, due to pandemic restrictions or homophobic school requirements.  

“So many high school proms are so cis [normative and] heteronormative and it's so hard for queer people to be able to go and feel welcome at an event like that. There are stories of people not even being allowed to bring same-sex partners or having dress codes that say girls must wear dresses and guys must wear suits. It's all very limiting for queer people,” said Kemble. 

So many high school proms are so cis [normative and] heteronormative and it's so hard for queer people to be able to go and feel welcome at an event like that. There are stories of people not even being allowed to bring same-sex partners or having dress codes that say girls must wear dresses and guys must wear suits. It's all very limiting for queer people

Avery Kemble, Assistant Director, Pride Community Centre

PCC Training and Development Coordinator Ava Shah-Beigi discussed with the Silhouette that the PCC’s Queer Prom is a meaningful opportunity to celebrate queer culture in a unique and accessible way.  

“It's so nice that there is so many aspects of queer culture that are celebrated within the confines of nightlife, such as bars or drag shows. But we also think that it's important to have events that don't necessarily center around nightlife, but rather something more like a formal, which offers options for queer students.” said Shah-Beigi.  

Kemble shared that the PCC has been hard at work planning Queer Prom since September 2022.  

She explained that it was important to them to ensure that the event is as accessible as possible. This includes cheaper ticket options to reduce financial barriers for some students. Kemble shared that, because queer people are already more likely to be of lower income or require financial aid, it was important for the PCC to make tickets as affordable as possible, which they were able to achieve through external funding.  

Shah-Beigi shared with the Silhouette that in an effort to make Queer Prom as accessible as possible, the PCC has organized a raffle to provide free tickets and outfits for the event.  

We will be providing a free ticket to three to five students with financial needs and there's like a person we're collaborating with that will provide them a free outfit as well. We don't want people to face any barriers when it comes to finances. We want to be able to have everyone celebrated whether or not they come from a wealthy background,” said Shah-Beigi.  

We will be providing a free ticket to three to five students with financial needs and there's like a person we're collaborating with that will provide them a free outfit as well. We don't want people to face any barriers when it comes to finances. We want to be able to have everyone celebrated whether or not they come from a wealthy background.”

Ava Shah-Beigi, Training and Development Coordinator, Pride Community Centre

The Queer Prom will be chock-full of music, games and entertainment. There will be a professional DJ, a donut bar, a caricature artist, drag queen performances and a surprise celebrity performer.  

Shah-Beigi also shared that the event is Renaissance themed, and attendees are encouraged to come dressed in their most extravagant themed attire.  

Whether it be for the entertainment, the dessert bar or just to celebrate queerness in a safe and uplifting space, McMaster’s first Queer Prom is an event to not be missed.  

“Growing up, prom is such a milestone event that you look forward to and we want the queer community at McMaster to have that opportunity to be brought together and foster a sense of belonging and inclusion, to show queer people that they matter,” said Kemble. 

“Growing up, prom is such a milestone event that you look forward to and we want the queer community at McMaster to have that opportunity to be brought together and foster a sense of belonging and inclusion, to show queer people that they matter.”

For more information about Queer Prom, visit the McMaster PCC Instagram