“Trust it, believe it, do it”

By: Justin Parker

Defence ultimately decideS who moves on in the playoffs. This time, Mac stood tall.

The Marauders are headed to the Ontario University Athletics semi-finals following a nail-biter ending that saw Guelph march down the field during the final minute of regulation.

Down six, Guelph nearly completed the comeback if it weren’t for fifth-year defensive back Keldyn Ahlstedt’s last-second interception in the Marauders’ end zone, sealing the game for the Marauders.

“I was just reading the quarterback,” Ahlstedt said after the game. “Coaches always say: see it, trust it, believe it, do it. That’s what I did and it paid off.

The game against Guelph followed a familiar pattern for the Marauders: a frustrating first half followed by a stronger and more cohesive second half. Again, the dichotomy between the two halves was evident in this game which saw 14 of the Marauders’ 17 points scored in the second half.

Head coach Greg Knox recognizes this pattern and how the struggling first half offence made the game closer than expected.

“We didn’t do enough of the right things offensively,” Knox said. “Hats off to Guelph every step of the way, they did a good job. They were a tough opponent today. We rallied at halftime and did what we needed to do in the second half.”

“Ultimately, the emotion we played with and our execution got us there. It’s something we have to try to remedy: offensively we’re struggling in the first half of games. We did a good job adjusting in the third quarter. At the end of the day, we’ll take it.”

Despite a frustrating first half that saw the Gryphons go into the locker room up 10-3, grit and determination allowed McMaster to climb back into the game and pull out the win. Quarterback Asher Hastings, who threw for 317 yards and a touchdown (187 yards in the second half) noted the perseverance that brought them back into the game in the second half had a lot to do with veteran players performing in big moments.

“[There are] a couple plays in that game I’ll never forget and that’s Max Cameron catching the ball on a check down, lunging his body under three Gryphons, and getting absolutely destroyed but giving us an opportunity to get the first down,” Hastings said. “Same thing with Dany Vandervoort, catching a check down, driving his legs, and never quitting. That’s just seniors laying their bodies on the line because they want to live to fight another day.”

Many veteran players like Ahlstedt feel the pressure that any game could be their last . The nostalgia of preparing for the game and taking the field for possibly the last time is not lost on any of these players.

“I was just thinking today– five years ago, my first home game was against Guelph,” Ahlstedt said. “Five years later, my last home game was against Guelph. Same outcome–it’s kind of cool it ended that way. It’s the playoffs; you’re never guaranteed tomorrow. I’m just looking forward to being able to play another game of football and competing against a very, very good team.”

Looking ahead to their semi-final game against no. 3 ranked Laurier next week, the Marauders are in for another arduous matchup in Waterloo. Laurier is currently ranked in second in points scored per game (42.6) and points allowed per game (15.8). Laurier is coming off a first-round bye following their 38-9 season ending win over Windsor. With a team that ranks first in sacks (36) and defensive touchdowns (six)w, Hastings expects another tough game for the Marauders.

“They’re one of the best defences in Canada,” Hastings said. “They really bring it on defence so it’s going to be tough for us offensively. We are going to have a great week of preparation and really stay dialed in and focused, because this one was way too close.”

“It’s the playoffs. You can’t take any team for granted,” said Ahlstedt. “Their record says it all: they’re 7-1. They’re going to give us their best game, and we’re going to give them our best game, so it’s going to be a dog fight.”

The Marauders have a tough road ahead, but for a team full of veterans and resilience, they will bring the fight to anyone standing in their way.