Clare Kenney talks about her all-star season

Sofia Mohamed

At the end of the 2013-2014 season, the women’s basketball team bid farewell to five key seniors. This meant positions needed to be filled and as a large amount of experience left with these players, the 2014-2015 season saw a young team ready to show they had qualifications of their own.

“Who’s going to replace Hailey Milligan?” is a question that many wanted to know the answer to as the 6'3", two time OUA First-Team All-Star hung up her jersey. With the leading rebounder in school history and a star to McMaster women’s basketball no longer on the playing roster, the torch had to be passed to somebody else.

Relatively quiet in her first two seasons, this huge change in the roster was an opportunity for third-year forward Clare Kenney to rise to the challenge.

“The past two years, I spent observing and learning. We had a lot of leaders on the team. There was a lot to learn from Hailey. She was a good post, arguably the best in the OUA and one of the best in the CIS and I spent two years soaking up whatever I could from her,” said Kenney.

From reserve to a place on the starting line-up in the first-game of this year’s regular season, Kenney was no doubt placed in a new role, but it did not look more natural for her.

“I didn’t know I was going to be a starter. That was a goal. I wanted to sustain the starting position. I wanted to step it up and I got a double-double this year for the first time. I had a couple of goals and I saw an opportunity and wanted to fill it,” said Kenney.

The personal goals made by Kenney were not only achieved, but also surpassed as she was named an OUA Second-Team All-Star for her work this season.

Numbers don’t lie, and they can do all the talking for the forward from Gananoque, Ont. She was the second-leading scorer on the Marauders team and ninth in the OUA with 14.7 points per game. Also taking the third spot in the conference for field goal percentages and sixth for rebounds per game, Kenney has put the OUA on notice for what she is capable of contributing when given the chance.

But it was not a smooth season for Kenney. She had to overcome two injuries this season, a concussion and a hit to the ankle during a game against Queen’s a few weeks later that saw her sitting out a total of six weeks.

“After my concussion, it took me almost two weeks until I was able to watch practice in the gym. I remember being angry because I didn’t know what was going on and I was learning new plays but I couldn’t run through them. With my ankle, it was more discouraging because it was my third game back. The disappointment fueled into motivation. I could not do anything for the team but cheer. My focus was more on helping them and I channeled my energy in a positive manner,” said Kenney.

Whether suited up on the bench because of her injuries or taking a substitution breather off the floor after minutes of solid play, a member of the coaching staff is constantly engaged with the third-year forward. That person speaking into Kenney’s ear is assistant coach, Anne Marie Thuss.

“Thuss is definitely the go-to for me for post. When I was injured this year and out for six weeks on the sidelines she would come up to me and she would be the one making sure I’m still paying attention and wasn’t falling asleep watching the girls scrimmage. She would ask ‘what would you do differently?’ or ‘why wasn’t that a good read?’ She would make sure that I was always involved and focused,” said Kenney.

Being a part of a close-knit team that is considered family and experienced coaching staff looking to challenge and highlight talent has made it all worthwhile for somebody who did not think of pursuing basketball after high school.

Reflecting on a great breakout season, Kenney is proud of what she has done.

“Every good athlete goes through hills and valleys and I just had to wait for my plateau to be over and luckily, that was the first regular season game and aside from injuries, I had a very good season,” she said.

With the offseason just beginning, Kenney will use the time to perfect her skills and get stronger in certain areas of her playing style. Being undersized in her position, she will work on her shooting, foul shots and ball handling, as the team loves to play a fast-paced game.

Being a varsity athlete has allowed Kenney to become familiar with the Hamilton community as head coach Theresa Burns has encouraged her players to not only be student-athletes but also mentors. Taking part in community activities through volunteering has allowed Kenney to grow.

“These kids help us just as much as we help them. I truly want them growing up and wearing jersey number 15 [Kenney’s number],” she said.

This season has allowed for Marauder basketball fans to put a name to a face and has put the talent and potential of Clare Kenney on center court in the Burridge Gym.

Stepping into a big role allowed a spotlight to be placed on Kenney, and there is no sign of it becoming dim.