Experimental electronic band carves niche in Hamilton music scene

Arts and Culture

By: Sahra Soudi

Electroluminescent has made their mark on a thriving electronic music scene, creating music that is both sedative and intriguing. Now the group has the opportunity to reflect on their legacy as they played their final show at This Ain’t Hollywood before an indefinite hiatus.

From the gentle strobe lights to the twinkling melodic keyboard sounds, being at a local venue with supporters and friends of Electroluminescent felt just as atmospheric as their latest EP, Fragments in Rounds.

Electroluminescent is an electronic/psychedelic/noise solo project created by Ryan Ferguson (guitar and keyboard) in 1998 during his time living in Waterdown.

Upon moving to Hamilton in 2003, Ferguson began to perform his music.

“I was in school and I was too busy to be involved in a band," Ferguson explained.

"I was interested in the counterpoint ideas where you take the same musical phrase and repeat against itself it can create a sensibility and if you do it on purpose you can make melodies. I was into the whole DIY aspect where I could make tapes and give them to friends.”

electroluminescent EP fragments in rounds

“Back then you could buy an analog synthesizer for cheap so that’s then I started incorporating that and became interested in electronic music,” said Ferguson.

In 2016, the act was reimagined as a six-piece electronic/psychedelic/noise band featuring Beth de Jong (bass and guitar), Dan Empringham (drums), Sean Ramsay (guitar), Adam Bentley (guitar) and Adam Price (keyboards).

After the band’s performance in London, Ontario at the Strangewaves musical festival in 2016, Electroluminescent decided to have one more performance at This Ain’t Hollywood on Jan. 27 along with The Sarah Good Band and Roljui.

Since then Ferguson’s music has morphed into ambient, shoe gaze music and experimental noise.

Having been musically influenced by American Composer Steve Reich, Ferguson explained the importance of reimagining one of his final performances as a six-piece band.

“I didn’t just want to recreate what I’ve done [for] years before but I still wanted to reference [it]. Everyone who’s playing in the band has been close to Electroluminescent and I wanted to include them in a new thing.”

"You can trace electronic music back to the Junior Boys and [they] trace back to the early rave scenes here in Hamilton."
Ryan Ferguson
Founder, Electroluminescent

Hamilton’s electronic/industrial music scene has historic ties to buildings such as the Lincoln Alexander Centre and the Cotton Factory, which used to be venues for raves.

“When I started going to Hamilton local music shows it was all indie rock but then the Cotton Factory had raves and you can trace electronic music back to the Junior Boys and [they] trace back to the early rave scenes here in Hamilton,” said Ferguson.

“Electronic music is definitely more active today. I don’t know if I directly participate in it but it seems like I do. I’m too old now; I have bad knees. That’s why I like walking electronic music, it’s good for your knees,” Ferguson said, laughing.

As the group prepares to break off into other projects, Ferguson is looking forward to his next experimental project.

“I’m working on now this underwater sound installation. You don’t really take that to a club or a show. I don’t necessarily see myself as part of this music scene for much longer and I don’t think that’s a bad thing.”