Food trends for 2014

Amanda Watkins

RAMEN

With Pho being the ruling noodle of 2013, it seems that foodies of the world are gradually moving across South-East Asia finding their new food favourites. Pushing the Korean classic aside, it’s predicted that ramen noodles, a Japanese dish consisting of thin white noodles accompanied with a clear meat or fish-based broth will be at the forefront of 2014 trends.

Check Out:

Sushi Star (3.5 stars YELP)
127 King Street E

COMFORT FOODS

Expect to see more stylized grilled cheese sandwiches and haute hamburgers, as traditional comfort foods get a gourmet makeover. Old-time comfort foods are shacking up with modern ingredients like avocado, shrimp and candied bacon.

Check Out:

Macaroni & Cheese ($13) @
Bread Bar (4.5 stars YELP)
258 Locke Street S

Grilled Cheese from Heaven ($11) @
Bean Bar (4.5 stars YELP)
1012 King Street W

HOT BREWS

If “late-night coffee runs” has more than one meaning to you, then you’ll be pleased to hear that tea is taking over as the hot beverage of choice in 2014. Specialty tea stores have been popping up in shopping malls and collaborating with restaurants for the last year, and the trend is here to stay.

Check out:

Ginger Peach or Lemongrass Rosehip @
Ceylon Tea Bush
218 Locke Street S

SOUR BREWS

It may not sound appetizing - or even safe to eat - but “sour” beers are a growing trend and are predicted to be appearing in your local liquor stores. Like sourdough bread, sour beers get their name from a fermentation process that allows the active yeast to permeate the brew. Another strong flavour to look for in your hops: alcoholic ginger beer.

Check Out:

Panil Barrique Sour ($14.70 for 750mL)

Crabbies Alcoholic Ginger Beer ($3.65 for 330 mL)

ICE CREAM

While cupcakes, macaroons and donuts have all had their chance in the spotlight, the tried and true favourite is undergoing a palette makeover. Gourmet ice creams will be more commonplace, along with pop-up ice cream stores (à la Magnum in Toronto this summer) and decadent ice cream sandwiches.

Check out:

Rudy’s Paletas @
The Burnt Tongue
10 Cannon Street E

UMAMI

The newest of the five basic tastes, umami is predicted to be found in more diverse foods. The Japanese term translating to “pleasant savoury taste” is usually found in tomatoes, cabbage, shellfish and MSG salts. Look for it in salt blends, sauces and cooked into the growing and popular “umami burger”.

Check out:

Umami Salt ($10) @
www.umami.com (LA-based franchise, Umami Burger)

LOCALLY-SOURCED EVERYTHING

For the last few years, “local” has been a buzzword in restaurants, super markets and circles of young hipsters. But apparently, 2014 is the year for really implementing local diets and farm fresh cuisine. Jump on the bandwagon by shopping at your local farmer’s market, or looking into farm to table box programs that deliver local food to your home.

Check out:

Hamilton Farm Box deliveries from:

Plan B Organic Farms
www.planborganicfarms.ca

GLUTEN-FREE

Gluten is here to not stay. If you thought the celiac-friendly diet trend would have faded away with 2013, you were wrong. Menus and grocery stores will still be actively supplying gluten-free options during 2014.

CAULIFLOWER

2013’s vegetable of the year is still trending, just not quite as much. Mashed, grilled or baked into meat and wheat dishes, cauliflower will still be widely available on menus across town.

DONUTS

Donuts had their moment in the sun in 2013, but will be drifting into the shadows with 2014. Still available at your favourite bakeries and grocers, gourmet donuts will be ready for purchase throughout the year.