Top 5 easiest plants to care for 

Arts and Culture

C/O Unsplash

Starting your journey to becoming the plant friend everybody wants.

It is the beginning of the new school year, you have successfully moved in or have cleaned up your room to get ready for the coming year. A great easy (and cheap!) way to brighten your place is to add a plant. 

The plants listed below have been chosen because of how easy it is to find them, their relatively low cost, and ease to care for.  

1. Pothos  

Pothos are some of the most common houseplants for a few good reasons. Found in almost all plant-selling stores and a plant lover’s home, these vines are fairly quick to grow and easy to ignore. Although they may fare better in soil and indirect sunlight, pothos can be grown in either soil or water and can endure a variety of light conditionsmaking them ideal to grab from a friend, leave in a water bottle and check on every so often. 

1. Spider plants 

Despite the intimidating name, spider plants are a very approachable option for people without  experience raising plants. Like pothos, spider plants are a popular choice as they are easy to care for and propagate. They can be grown in either soil or water and can handle some of the direst lighting situations. To add, they are cheap and easy to find. 

Personally, I have had spider plants growing in both water and soil since high school. They have produced spider plant babies which make easy gifts. I believe one of my teachers began propagating the spider plants I gave her and gifted them to students as graduation gifts!  

1. Cacti 

The term “cacti” can encompass a vast variety of plants. The ones you may commonly find sold at stores, however, are quite hardy. Nevertheless, beginners may find cacti harder to raise as people tend to over-water their plants, effectively drowning them.  

Cacti are more particular than the previous plants as they require bright light and heat to thrive but they are known for their ability to survive with occasional (but thorough) waterings. Given these conditions, they make a unique, easy-to-care-for and potentially fashionable friend.  

1. Sempervivums 

You may have heard of sempervivums by a few of its alter egos, such as “hen and chicks” “houseleeks” or even “liveforevers”. Just the name inspires confidence in even notorious plant-killers.  

The reputation of these succulents comes from their ability to produce many smaller offsets that then can become their own plant. In this way, they can live forever. Still, to live at all, they prefer bright light and well-drained soil (similar to the cactus, avoid over-watering). If you choose the sempervivum as your green companion, you may soon find yourself with many sempervivums companions.  

1. Lucky bamboo  

The bamboo often seen in stores in pretty ribbons, pots and shapes make an eye-catching, not to mention easy-to-care-for, part of any room. All they truly require is some water and a pot, with decorations as an optional way to incorporate elements of feng shui, a traditional Chinese practice of creating harmony through arranging objects in particular places in a living space.  

When growing lucky bamboos, the water should be changed ideally every week with distilled or filtered water. Considering the materials needed and the starting cost, lucky bamboos are a quick, cheap and easy way to freshen up your room and get whatever luck you can for the upcoming school year.    

Despite their hardiness, plants, like most things, require love, time and care. For this list, they may require less of the above but it is important to remember to be patient and to not forget your plant on the windowsill for a few weeks. A few good rules of thumb: water less rather than more; keep plants out of direct sunlight; and give roots room to grow. 

Whichever one of these plants you may choose, with care, they will be sure to bring you some cheer for the upcoming school year.