2022 Think Pink initiative by the Marauders

Sava Jankovic

C/O Pixabay

Marauders work together to raise awareness and funding for Think Pink Breast Cancer Fundraiser

Every year, around the end of January, the Marauders have gathered to spread awareness for Think Pink Breast Cancer initiatives. Not only do they spread awareness through social media accounts, but they also prompt the wider public to donate to the initiative.  

In a small description on the donations website, the Marauders explained their cause and described it as a yearly ritual.  

“Every year, Marauder student-athletes come together for Think Pink, raising funds for breast cancer research, education and advocacy,” stated the iFundMac donations page.  

From Jan. 24 to Jan. 28, the Athletics and Recreation will change their colors from maroon to pink to raise awareness for the cause.  “Throughout the week, Marauder’s will Think Pink and bring together students, staff, and community members in support of an important cause and inspire hope for the future,” stated the iFundMac website. 

The McMaster Alumni Community has pledged that all funds raised through the campaign will be donated to Juravinski Cancer Center.  

Throughout the past week, Marauders did not only take to social media to spread awareness and gather the donations for Think Pink, but they have also conducted some in-person activities on campus that were broadcasted live. On Jan. 26 four student athletes — Victoria DiDomenico, Arianne Soriano, Deanna Mataseje and Jasmine Lewis — volunteered at the Think Pink event and have donated their hair for the cause.  

C/O Muad Issa, Arianne Soriano

To broaden this initiative, the Marauders also had the Director of Athletics and Recreation, Shawn Burt, speak about his experiences with cancer and why Think Pink is so important.  

“I, like so many in this community, unfortunately have a close connection to this cause. Nothing happens without great people stepping up and getting behind the cause,” said Burt 

“I, like so many in this community, unfortunately have a close connection to this cause. Nothing happens without great people stepping up and getting behind the cause."

Shawn Burt, Director of Athletics and Recreation

As of Jan. 28, the Athletes Care donation website for Think Pink has raised $810. Their goal is to reach $2000. 

While we don’t have a cure for cancer, it is important to raise awareness for the Think Pink cause, as millions go through the struggles of Breast Cancer on a yearly basis. The McMaster Marauders initiative may only be on a yearly basis, but the support from the community is a great way way to help. 

McMaster Athletes Care Think Pink is a yearly fundraiser. More information and how to donate can be found at the official iFundMac donation platform.