Celebrating Pride with outdoor adventures

Sam El-Kadi
July 2, 2024

The Conservation Halton Parks community is celebrating the spirit of
Pride Month with exciting outdoor activities and sports

Since Pride Month occurs in the warm weathers of June, it’s a great opportunity to celebrate by getting outside and taking in the scenery.

Pride in Nature,” which began as a single-day occasion in 2021, has expanded to a month-long program of activities. This year, Conservation Halton Parks is thrilled to bring it back with a variety of sports and activities that pay tribute to the Queer community, foster inclusivity and support an active lifestyle.

Slay Your Way Through a Guided Hike
First, take the “Slay Your Way” guided nature hike to fully see Hilton Falls’ breathtaking natural beauty. Accompanied by a qualified Conservation Halton guide, this trip follows beautiful trails where you can discover the park’s fascinating wildlife, varied plant life, and rich history.

More than just a hike, this is an opportunity to embrace the inclusivity of Pride Month, connect with nature and meet new people. This event promises to be an amazing experience, regardless of your hiking experience level.

Family Disc Golf Day
Next, “Family Disc Golf Day.” All ages and ability levels are welcome to Kelso to participate in this welcoming and inclusive disc golf competition. Disc golf combines the excitement of Frisbee throwing with the accuracy of golf, making it an easy sport to learn and an enjoyable outdoor activity.

The stunning course at Kelso provides the ideal backdrop for a day of community service and sportsmanship. Everyone can participate because discs are available at Trailhead Sports and Retail for purchase or rental. It’s a wonderful way to spend quality time with your family outside and celebrate Pride Month.

Climb as You Are
Climb as You Are” offers an exhilarating evening on Kelso’s Challenge Course for those looking for adventure. By ascending the Vulture’s View tower and traversing the aerial Escarpment Walk course, participants can push themselves to their potential. The main goals of this event are to celebrate individual accomplishments, increase self-confidence, and overcome obstacles.

“Climb as You Are” embodies the spirit of Pride Month and offers an exciting and fulfilling experience for climbers of all skill levels.

Whatever Floats Your Boat
Discover the calm waters of Kelso Lake with the “Whatever Floats Your Boat” event. A range of watercrafts are available for selection, such as canoes, kayaks, paddle boats, and stand-up paddleboards. The peaceful waters and abundant fish population of Kelso Lake make it the ideal location for a leisurely day at the lake. To guarantee an enjoyable and safe experience, rentals include paddles, a safety kit, and authorized personal flotation equipment.

Celebrate Pride in Nature
Through outdoor activities, “Pride in Nature” aims to celebrate inclusivity, diversity, and community. There’s something for everyone, whether you like hiking, swimming, climbing, or disc golf.

These gatherings not only encourage physical health and wellbeing but also give the 2SLGBTQ+ community a chance to interact, network, and recognize the individual contributions of one another

Author