Everything you need to know about intramural sports

A quick rundown on intramural opportunities at McMaster and how students can register

On Aug. 28, McMaster Athletics and Recreation released their 2023-2024 intramural sports calendar. The calendar details the many indoor and outdoor sports taking place over both terms this year along with important information about the types of leagues offered, roster requirements, play styles and times of the week that the intramural will run.  

The fall semester will include intramurals such as three-pitch softball, flag football and spikeball, kickball, touch rugby, Halloween dodgeball, seated volleyball and fantasy football and NFL picks. Registration for these fall leagues and tournaments runs from Sept. 6-18. 

The fall semester will include intramurals such as three-pitch softball, flag football and spikeball, kickball, touch rugby, Halloween dodgeball, seated volleyball and fantasy football and NFL picks.

For the winter, the department will offer intramurals including ice hockey, badminton and cricket and tournaments for three-on-three March Madness basketball, table tennis and wheelchair European handball. Registration for these winter leagues and tournaments will run from Nov. 13-26.  

Students are able to join up to one gendered men’s or women’s league as well as an open league with no gender-based roster requirements or a Corec league with sport-specific gender-based roster requirements.  

Different intramural styles are also present for students of varying experience levels and desires for competitive play. PlayFun leagues offer an opportunity for both beginners and veterans to participate in intramurals without overly aggressive play. On the other hand, PlayComp leagues are geared towards players who wish for a more intensive and quicker intramural style.  

To sign up, students must create an account through the IMLeagues website and select McMaster University as their school. Once students are registered, they can find and join an intramural league by creating a team as a captain and sending invite requests or emails for other members to join.  

Once students are registered, they can find and join an intramural league by creating a team as a captain and sending invite requests or emails for other members to join

Students can also sign up as a free agent within a league and division of their choice for members on the site to add to their team. Remaining free agents will be assigned to teams once all of their members are confirmed at the end of the fall and winter registration period.  

More information about intramurals can be found through Instagram @macintramurals or on the intramural sports page on the McMaster Athletics and Recreation website.