Exclusive interview with the new director of athletics and recreation, Keenan Jeppesen

A former McMaster varsity athlete and once the men's athlete of the year, Keenan Jeppesen is set to become the new director of Athletics and Recreation

Come Sept. 23, Keenan Jeppesen is set to take the directors seat of the athletics and recreation department. Jeppesen, who is a familiar name within the McMaster community, has already demonstrated himself as a leader in his previous roles in Housing and Conference Services and Athletics, High Performance.

This transition from housing and conference services to athletics and recreation might seem like quite the shift, but Jeppesen was confident that it was the right choice.

"Housing touches so many parts of the institution around McMaster, so it was a great learning experience for me. Coming back to athletics and recreation, it is a different score but there's a lot of familiarity, whether its with the operations of the department or the staff," said Jeppesen

Born into an athletic family, Jeppesen was always determined to leave his mark on the sports world. Over the course of his career, he competed with the varsity basketball team at Brown University, where he was selected for the All-Ivy League Second-Team for the 2005-2006 season.

"I'm a dual citizen of the United States and Canada, so I've spent a good time in both countries. When I graduated high school, I got recruited to play college basketball at Brown University. I spent around three years there, then after graduating I returned to Canada," said Jeppesen

His return to athletics and recreation is particularly meaningful, as he is a former student-athlete at McMaster and won the male athlete of the year award in 2010.

"After a brief stint at Western, I came to McMaster to do my Masters in Business Administration where I also played on the varsity basketball team for a year. We had a pretty successful season, we were ranked third in the country, and personally I've had my best individual year. Unfortunately, the season came to an end prematurely due to my ACL tear," said Jeppesen

Jeppesen's previous personal experience and relationship with athletes over the years means that he will be entering office with expectations to achieve. He aims to communicate effectively with athletes to improve their experience in the school and the department.

"I was in their shoes, but I try not to make too many assumptions about others experiences even though I can relate. For example, a lot has changed since I was last working within the department, so I understand that things may not be the same compared to when I was around. So my objective is, as soon as I enter office, to consult with athletes, coaches and other staff to get their perspectives about various things such as their challenges, what they're excited about and what we can do better to improve their experience at the school," said Jeppesen

Jeppesen's return to athletics and recreation brings an experienced leader back to the department, after a few years spent in other sections of the university. With a varsity background and leadership experience embedded at McMaster, he is set to take office on Sep. 23 with a fresh perspective. While his path forward may present challenges, this leadership change could contribute to positive developments within the department.

Authors

• sports
  • Sava Jankovic

Sava is a third-year computer engineering student who loves watching many sports such as soccer and F1. In his free time, he tends to either go to the gym, go out or just stay in and enjoy some alone time. His passion for writing sports has been around for a while, and he is very happy to be writing as a sports reporter for two years now.

View all posts