Explore different artists and genres of music with MOOD FM

Jenny Zhao

This new, and rapidly growing, McMaster club is building community and fostering inclusivity through representation in music

At first glance, MOOD FM is simply a club at McMaster University where students meet to discuss and explore music on a weekly basis. However, since its ratification in May 2022, the club has carved out a unique identity and purpose for itself.  

“[We focus] on addressing inequality in how music is typically thought about and consumed,” said Mara Zacharia, a club executive and third-year chemical biology student.   

[We focus] on addressing inequality in how music is typically thought about and consumed.

Mara Zacharia, MOOD FM club executive

MOOD FM is focused on building community, highlighting underrepresented groups in music and bridging the gap between students and the local Hamilton music scene. The club selects a new album each week for listening parties, meetings and discussions. As of this year, the weekly albums are selected to fit one of two themes: music made by female and genderqueer artists or music made by black artists. MOOD FM alternates between these themes monthly.  

The focus of October was women in goth. Each week throughout the month, the club explored a different album within this theme, including ones by Siouxsie and the Banshees and the Cocteau Twins. The listening parties are hosted online over Discord every Tuesday at 9 p.m., and the in-person discussions take place on Wednesdays in room 203 in the McMaster University Student Centre from 4:30 to 5:30 p.m.  

MOOD FM also introduced a new playlist swap initiative this year. Club members have the option to sign-up for a playlist swap, where they will create a playlist with five songs for someone else and receive one in return every other Sunday. Over the course of two weeks, the pairs are encouraged to listen to the playlists and write a short discussion about their thoughts. 

“I’ve already been [introduced to] a bunch of other bands and artists that I didn’t know before. . .it’s really fun and it’s a good way to explore new genres,” said Aidan Zeglinski, a club executive and third-year chemistry student. 

MOOD FM hopes to encourage students to engage with local music and bands and has organized outings in the Hamilton community to help with this. 

“When Supercrawl came to Hamilton last month, we actually went out as a group and came out to show support to the local community, but also to introduce people, like first years and people who are not as [involved] in the Hamilton music scene and art scene,” said Zacharia.  

We actually went out as a group and came out to show support to the local community, but also to introduce people, like first years and people who are not as [involved] in the Hamilton music scene and art scene.

Mara Zacharia, MOOD FM club executive

The club hopes to increase the frequency and variety of their outings, which may include hikes or record store runs in the future. 

The MOOD FM Discord currently has around 300 members, with around 40 to 50 active members attending events and club meetings. The club executives have also noticed an influx of new members in their growing community, especially after ClubsFest this year.  

“We’re not intimidating, we’re not scary people, we’re not going to ask you what your three favourite Nirvana songs are if you’re wearing a Nirvana shirt. We’re really just music-loving people that just want to talk about music in any way we can,” said Zeglinski.  

The club is looking to expand the events they offer and to potentially collaborate with other clubs and organizations on campus this year. To learn more about the club and find out what they are listening to next, visit their Instagram page or website