Fire safety

admin
January 28, 2016
This article was published more than 2 years ago.
Est. Reading Time: 1 minute

[adrotate banner="16"]

[feather_share show="twitter, google_plus, facebook, reddit, tumblr" hide="pinterest, linkedin, mail"]

By: Rafik El Werfalli

Mostacci suggests that any general message for students is to, “Be responsible and never disable the smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms.” According to new legislation that came into effect in 2013, Bill 77, the Hawkins-Gignac Act, it is mandatory that all homes with fuel burning appliances be equipped with carbon monoxide alarms.

Mostacci mentioned that some of the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning are difficult to recognize. Some of these symptoms include feeling lethargic, confused and having flu like symptoms. “It is really important to recognize the symptoms of carbon monoxide” he said. If the carbon monoxide alarm is going off and you are experiencing these symptoms, Mostacci advised students to keep the windows shut, leave the house and to call 911.

Never go back into the house in search for items. “Items can be replaced. Lives cannot,” Mostacci said.

 

webonly_fire1

Have a working smoke alarm, and carbon monoxide monitor in your home at all times.

[spacer height="default"]

webonly_fire2

Keep a fire extinguisher in a convenient location in the house.

[spacer height="default"]

webonly_fire3

Never leave anything on the stove unattended. If a fire ignites in the pot use a lid to cover it and never carry it outside.

[spacer height="default"]

webonly_fire5

Do not place extension cables near/under flammable material such as carpets.

[spacer height="default"]

webonly_fire4

Develop a plan with housemates for an escape route if a fire breaks out.

[spacer height="default"]

[thesil_related_posts_sc]Related Posts[/thesil_related_posts_sc]

 

Subscribe to our Mailing List

© 2022 The Silhouette. All Rights Reserved. McMaster University's Student Newspaper.
magnifiercrossmenuarrow-right