Four New Clubs to Check Out This Year

Discover fresh faces and exciting opportunities with the newest clubs at McMaster University

McMaster University has over 250 student-run clubs on campus across diverse categories that include but are not limited to academics and athletics, culture and religion and social issues.

Students have the freedom to pursue their passions that are related to their degree or independent of it. The variety of clubs at McMaster create spaces for students to connect with likeminded individuals and get involved with exciting initiatives and events.

While there is a vast amount of MSU clubs, this number only continues to grow as new intelligent cohorts join the McMaster community. Here are a few new notable MSU clubs to check out!

Eating Disorder Awareness McMaster 

To raise awareness of eating disorders and their effects on people's lives, Eating Disorder Awareness McMaster aims to share helpful information to the McMaster community and resources to those affected. EDMAC is a newly created affiliate of the Collaborative Eating Disorder Awareness Association, a nonprofit organization that shares a similar mission to generate a better understanding of eating disorders in Canada. Sharing information about eating disorders spreads awareness to those ignorant to their severity and validates students that may not know how to seek treatment. 

McMaster BlackPrint

Made for black men by black men, McMaster BlackPrint is a club dedicated to creating spaces to bring together and uplift black-identifying male students. Black male students are often underrepresented in university spaces. Through collaborative events with other MSU clubs and support from the Black Student Success Centre, showcased on their social media, BlackPrint creates safe spaces for mental health discussions, academic tools, and career-planning resources.

McMaster Chapter of the Golden Key International Honour Society

An exclusive club that supports McMaster’s finest academics, the Golden Key International Honour Society is an invite-only club where its members are among the top 15 per cent of their field of study. The Golden Key International Honour Society is stated to be the largest collegiate society on both their social media and official website. Holding connections with over 400 universities, this club represents the McMaster chapter of this honour society. Members of this club are provided exclusive networking opportunities, scholarships, and career-building resources.

McMaster Young Liberals

Currently McMaster’s only politically affiliated MSU club, the McMaster Young Liberals are returning after shutting down during the COVID-19 pandemic in 2021. This club is affiliated with the Young Liberals of Canada, the official youth commission of the Liberal Party of Canada. 

“My big goal is I want a lot of people to come out and see that politics can be fun. I want to decrease that perceived barrier of entry into it. I want to get people to come out and realize they can make an actual difference in their community and really be involved,” said Max Dressler, provincial president of McMaster Young Liberals.

McMaster Young Liberals hopes to create a space for students both new and familiar to politics to openly discuss their concerns and opinions. 

“Get involved and share your opinions because those opinions may very well become law,” Joshua Bell, federal president of the McMaster Young Liberals.

Whether you're looking to meet new people or discover a new interest, consider checking out a new club this semester.

Author