Hamilton Bike Share pass approved for 2024/2025

Abonti Nur Ahmed
Est. Reading Time: 1 minute

In last week's referendum, students approved an increase in MSU student fees for the implementation of the Hamilton Bike Share pass

The McMaster Students Union 2024 referdendum was open to voters from Mar. 5 to Mar. 7. This year, students voted on the implementation of the Hamilton Bike Share and the Food Accessibility Initiative.

On Mar. 8, 2024, the results of the vote were released and it was announced that the increase in fees for the Hamilton Bike Share pass was approved. However, the Food Accessibility Initiative votes were not able to be counted as the 10 per cent quorum was not met.

The Bike Share referendum had a 16 per cent voter turnout, with 94.5 per cent voting in favour of the pass. This means that for the 2024/2025 school year, students will have access to 90 minutes of bike share time per day and $22 plus tax will be added to MSU student fees.

Students will also have the option to opt out of the pass. 

McMaster Students for Bike Share, the Instagram page for the pass campaign, shared their thoughts for the successful vote.

“Thank you for voting, sharing our posts and spreading the word! This achievement is the result of a collective effort and the culmination of the work we’ve put into getting this pass since the beginning of last year,” said the Students for Bike Share team in the statement on their Instagram after the results were announced.

For more information, please refer to the MSU Elections website.