Introducing the McMaster LGBTQ2SIA+Athletic Advocacy Group

Sava Jankovic
July 2, 2024

Over the past year, the group has worked to build a safer space for 2SLGBTQIA+ students
within the department of athletics and recreation

The McMaster LGBTQ2SIA+ Athletic Advocacy Group is no ordinary club hailing from the McMaster Athletics and Recreation Department. Run by two copresidents, Sarah Oresnik and Juliana ‘JJ’ Jack, it started in 2023 with the goal to make athletics and recreation more inclusive for the 2SLGBTQIA+ community on campus.

“The LGBTQ+ Athletic Advocacy Group aims to provide an inclusive and supportive environment and community across McMaster athletics through education, programs, and social events. We strive to provide educational resources for coaches, staff, varsity athletes, and students, to increase knowledge about LGBTQ+ rights and how to manage LGBTQ+ issues,” said Oresnik.

Over the past year, the LAAG has developed within the athletics and recreation department. They’ve gained the support of the department for events that have taken place on campus, such as Queer Yoga and Transgender Visibility Day activities.

“During the exam season a few months ago, we were happy to host a Queer Yoga night where we had several individuals join us in a room called the Mindfulness studio within DBAC,” said Oresnik.

While events may be a shorter-term goal for LAAG, they are also focused on reaching their goals in the long term.

“Our long-term projects are looking at what we can do to improve gender inclusive changing room spaces in DBAC, increasing signage around the area so folks can see that it is a safe space for them, and giving back to the community, by running fundraisers for those around us,” said Oresnik

Our long-term projects are looking at what we can do to improve gender inclusive changing room spaces in DBAC, increasing signage around the area so folks can see that it is a safe space for them, and giving back to the community, by running fundraisers for those around us.

Sara Oresnik
Co-president, McMaster LGBTQ2SIA+ Athletic Advocacy Group

In Nov. 2023, the LAAG also hosted their first ever pride game at DBAC. The game involved men’s and women’s basketball teams against Toronto Metropolitan University, with ample decorations of pride flags being laid around the venue throughout the games.

“Back in November, we had a pride night at a basketball game, where we had the opportunity to promote our club and sell t-shirts, which plenty of student athletes have bought. We also encouraged the players of both teams to wear pride shirts as warm up gear to show support,” said Oresnik.

However, that was the moment when Oresnik felt disappointment with several players of the men’s team for not wearing the shirts that were provided.

“One thing that was difficult for us to see is that not everyone had worn a pride shirt. It was challenging to see, especially when you’re trying to create a space about inclusivity, and we had to recognize that there aren’t people that understand the seriousness about why it is important that we do support trans and queer athletes in sport,” said Oresnik.

Despite the uncomfortable experience, Oresnik still believes that ath. and rec. is doing its best to promote and support the club.

“People are generally very supportive within the academic space here at McMaster. From the very first meeting that I had with the department and after pitching the idea, I was immediately met with positive feedback where I was told that they see the need for the club and that it will be implemented as soon as possible,” said Oresnik.

People are generally very supportive within the academic space here at McMaster. From the very first meeting that I had with the department and after pitching the idea, I was immediately met with positive feedback where I was told that they see the need for the club and that it will be implemented as soon as possible.

Sara Oresnik

The club’s next steps include planning administration and reaching out to other athletes.

“For now, the next step is to have our elections in the coming months. Another thing that we really want to do now is have a lot more outreach. By this, I mean to reach out to athletes who participate in field sports, ones that never get pride nights where they celebrate something on the field,” said Oresnik.

With a clear vision of what they can achieve, LAAG is set to continue creating an inclusive space within McMaster’s athletic community. As they look ahead, the LAAG’s initiatives and outreach efforts promise to build a more inclusive future in athletics and recreation. You can visit their Instagram @laagmcmaster to stay updated about their future activities
and plans.

Author

• Sava Jankovic

Sava is a third-year computer engineering student who loves watching many sports such as soccer and F1. In his free time, he tends to either go to the gym, go out or just stay in and enjoy some alone time. His passion for writing sports has been around for a while, and he is very happy to be writing as a sports reporter for two years now.

View all posts