Mac's playoff hopes still alive

By John Bauer

The Marauders baseball team came into the past week with 11 games to go, knowing that it would be the most crucial seven day stretch on their schedule.

They started the week off on Wednesday, playing possibly the most exciting game of the year.

After an eleven-inning marathon, the Marauders emerged 9-8 victors over the University of Waterloo Warriors.

Going into the ninth, the Marauders were down and the game would eventually come down to the last out.

Scenario: Andrew Cochran on first and Jake Chiaravalle at the plate. A wild pitch sent Cochran to second, and a misplay of Chiaravalle’s hit scored Cochran and gave the Marauders new life.

Cameron Ryerson provided a clutch single to move Chiaravalle into prime scoring position. Chiaravalle then cashed in to tie it.

Courtesy of two Ks by pitcher Tomas Rincon and a key double play, Waterloo would go scoreless in the tenth and eleventh. Cameron Ryerson would again be the hero, providing a walk-off single.

The Maroon would split their weekend set, again against Waterloo, losing 2-0 and winning 5-4 in another extra-inning thriller.

Then the men took on the Toronto Varsity Blues, who no doubt still had their season-opening loss to the Marauders fresh in their mind.

In the first game, Toronto would use the strength of a seven run, second inning explosion to win 11-3.

In the second game, McMaster would outhit the Varsity Blues, but were outmatched by their running game.

Again, a big second inning put the game away early, and Toronto would prevail 7-3.

With the most challenging week behind them, McMaster will conclude the season with the busiest week of the year. They begin with a Tuesday doubleheader at Queen’s, followed by a Wednesday game at Guelph.

For the finale, the Maroon and Grey will play a pair of Friday contests at Western, with the closing act of the regular season at home on Saturday against the first-place Brock Badgers.