McMaster basketball reopens the season at the Burridge

After a winter's time off, the Marauders basketball teams have opened the season in great form

Kicking off their season on Nov. 1., both the McMaster University men and women’s basketball teams began their Ontario University Athletics seasons on the right foot against Laurier University. The women’s basketball team was able to pick up a win against the Golden Hawks with a score of 80-75 while the men’s team finished 75-72.

Both teams proceeded to post mixed results with their record throughout the months of November and December. The women picked up a record of five wins and five losses and the men turned in five wins and four losses. 

Having very similar records going into the break, both teams likely looked to improve in the second half of the season. With the month of December away from OUA games, the rosters sought to come back stronger after their rest and time away from competitive play.

Having very similar records going into the break, both teams likely looked to improve in the second half of the season.

The teams resumed their season on Jan. 6., facing York University at home in Hamilton. It would seem as though the break did the Marauders well, with both teams chalking up a victory against the opposing Lions. 

It would seem as though the break did the Marauders well, with both teams chalking up a victory against the opposing Lions.

The women’s team was able to finish the game off with a score of 82-74. Leading the game in points, fifth-year Jenna Button put together a stellar night, helping the Marauders win while putting up 30 points. Third-year guard Delaney Bourget also chipped in with her relentless work on the defensive end, grabbing down six rebounds to finish the game.

The men’s team beat York with a score of 93-77. Mike Demangus capped off a great team performance, finishing the game with 27 points and keeping in top form as he has been this season. Third-year Elijah Bethune cleaned up defensively with 15 rebounds against the Lions.

As each team heads into the second half of the season, they will look to keep in the form they’ve hit to start the year.