McMaster football to play at Tim Hortons Field

Scott Hastie
May 4, 2016

McMaster football is taking a trip to the Donut Box.

On May 3, the Hamilton Tiger-Cats announced a Labour Day Weekend daylong football experience hosted at Tim Hortons Field. McMaster will open the Monday, Sept. 5th event with a noon kick-off against the University of Toronto Varsity Blues. Following the OUA match-up, Supercrawl, the annual Hamilton arts festival, will host a concert with artists to be named later. At 6:30 p.m., the Tiger-Cats take centre stage with the Labour Day Classic against the Toronto Argonauts.

“Hamilton is a football town, and working with the Tiger-Cats to put together a gameday at Tim Hortons Field full of entertaining events for the fans is exciting,” said Glen Grunwald, McMaster’s Director of Athletics & Recreation in a press release. “This is a truly unique experience for our students, student-athletes and alumni.”

Part of that unique experience: alcohol. At Ron Joyce Stadium, liquor is not allowed in the stands. Tim Hortons Field is a licensed venue and McMaster Athletics and Recreation confirmed there will be alcohol for sale along with full concession options.

The event could also pay dividends for the team. Tim Hortons Field will host the 2016 and 2017 Vanier Cup and getting a game under their belt could help the football team feel a bit more comfortable should they make it back to the championship game.

This is the second home game of the season for the Marauders. While the game falls at the end of Welcome Week, the annual first-year game will be the Aug. 28 match-up against the Carleton Ravens.

Tickets for the McMaster game are $20 and only the East stands will be open for the game. Marauder season-seat holders get access to the game as part of their season tickets.