McMaster track hits form early in the season

After participating in three meets this year, the Marauders' track team gained great results for multiple runners

The Marauders track team kicked off their season on Jan. 12 and 13 in Windsor, Ont. with the Can Am Classic. After a winter break’s rest, the team was able to pick up some great results in the opening weekend.

After a winter break’s rest, the team was able to pick up some great results in the opening weekend.

The weekend saw fifth-year runner Hannah Goodjohn and rookie Samuel Patrick lead the women and men’s side respectively. Goodjohn placed sixth while Patrick finished seventh in their respective races.

As the team headed into their second competition of the season with the Don Wright meet in London, the Marauders kicked their results up a notch. The women’s team clinched a first place finish in the one mile race from third year Victoria Lamb. The men’s team also received a gold medal after first-year Porter Lakhanpal won the 1000m race.

After kicking their season off in such great fashion, head coach Paula Schnurr looks to maintain the team's performance and have them keep up this form. At their most recent meet in Michigan, it appeared that they did just that.

After kicking their season off in such great fashion, head coach Paula Schnurr looks to maintain the team's performance and have them keep up this form.

Taking place in the United States, the Marauders brought a great performance. Lamb was able to take the top spot for the women with a ninth place finish in the 3000m, with the next closest McMaster athlete, Kaitlyn Treleaven, finishing in the 12th spot.

On the men’s side, Noah Mulkewich took the top spot for the maroon and grey following a 12th place finish in the 800m race. Lakhanpal was able to pick up the next highest finish for the men’s team after placing 17th place in the same event.

The team will compete in Boston, Mass. in their next meet from Feb. 8 to 10. They will likely look to keep their results up and continue to grow as the season progresses.