Men's football falls short in second game of season

After a home opener loss to Wilfrid Laurier University, the Marauders faced a subsequent defeat to Queen’s University on the road

As the 2024 season has come into swing for McMaster football, the team has struggled to pick up a win. In their season home opener on Aug. 24 against the Laurier Golden Hawks, the Marauders lost with a score of 14 to 31. 

Despite leading at the half against the Golden Hawks with a score of 14 to 13, the Marauders were unable to keep the scoring going. After this home opener loss, the Marauders traveled to Kingston to face Queen’s University.

The Queen’s Gaels would not be an unfamiliar opponent for McMaster, as the teams faced off in 2022. That game the Marauder's lost with a score of 10 to 14.  

This game would present a new opportunity to quarterback Keagan Hall, as he was not the team’s starting quarterback when the Marauders last faced the Gaels. But defeating the Queen's Gaels, USport’s 10th ranked team, would prove to be a difficult endeavour for the Marauders. 

But defeating the Queen's Gaels, USport’s 10th ranked team, would prove to be a difficult endeavour for the Marauders. 

The Gaels opened the scoring quickly on their home field, as they led 24 to zero for a majority of the first half. But, just before the first half ended, the Marauders were able score themselves a touchdown bringing the score to 24 to seven. 

Despite the team’s effort, the Marauders failed to change the tide of the game and secure victory in the second half. . The Marauders were able to score two touchdowns before the game was completed, but these points would not be enough, with the game finishing 27 to 22.

The Marauders were able to score two touchdowns before the game was completed, but these points would not be enough to secure a win, with the game finishing 27 to 22.

Stay tuned as the Marauders face the University of Toronto in their third match of the season on Sep. 7 at Ron Joyce Stadium. 

Author

• Alyssa Wheeler

Alyssa is in her fourth year of Human Behaviour. It is her second year writing in the sports section for the Sil. Outside of the Sil, you can find her trying her best to cook a TikTok recipe she found or trying to finish a Starbucks drink.

View all posts