MSU elections 2019: Jeffrey Campana’s platform overview

Ryan Tse

In his eighth year at McMaster University, Level IV materials engineering student Jeffrey Campana believes his communication skills and experience within and apart from the McMaster Students Union governing body give him the ability to propose a fairly ambitious set of platform points.

His most prominent MSU involvement has been with Union Market, where he has worked for the past four years and is now the manager. He is also an MSU Maroon and serves as the vice president (Promotions) for the McMaster Chess Club.

Campana’s platform is comprised of 15 platform points and three advocacy initiatives focusing on infrastructure, accessibility, student engagement and campus safety.

Campana’s aspires to expand MSU present Ikram Farah’s Tax Free Tuesdays pilot project, what he calls “the best platform point from the past seven MSU elections.”

Campana’s two other advocacy points involve improving Go service and adding incentives to encourage student participation in the newly-released MSU landlord rating system.

Perhaps the most ambitious platform point out of the 15 is Campana’s plan to build an ice rink on campus by January 2020.

Two of Campana’s infrastructure projects involve lighting and wifi. Campana wants to upgrade all lights on campus to white LED lighting. Campana’s “Actually Better Wi-Fi” initiative involves conducting a “Wi-Fi audit” across campus to provide wifi wherever it is currently missing.

Another initiative includes the proposal to distribute free menstrual products to students and every all-genders washroom on campus.

Campana’s “Mac Votes” point outlines his commitment to place a polling station on campus for future elections.

Campana has a few points to make the operations of the “MSU Bubble” more engaging and accessible. He plans to “Break the Bubble” by standardizing different roles and ensuring hiring practices are unbiased.

Regarding the overall vision of the MSU, Campana plans to release an additional annual document on top of the “State of the Union” to outline the long-term goals of the union. His “Easy Reading” point will make the student union website available to be translated into any language.

“Your Bank, No Fees” is the title of Campana’s plan to increase the number of ATMs representing different banks on campus.

Campana has also dedicated two platform points to improving the Welcome Week experience for reps and incoming first year students. He plans to continue subsidizing meals at TwelvEighty for reps and extend it from two days to one week.

More information about Campana’s platform can be found at www.jeffreymichael2019.com.

[button link="https://www.thesil.ca/meet-your-msu-presidential-candidates" color="red"] RETURN TO ALL CANDIDATE PLATFORM OVERVIEWS[/button]