New committee to promote year-round Truth and Reconciliation initiatives 

McMaster launches a new communications committee to facilitate and promote a culture committed to reconciliation

Starting this year, the new Truth and Reconciliation Communications Standing Committee launched at McMaster University, dedicated to promoting and advancing Truth and Reconciliation throughout the university. The committee is comprised of both Indigenous and non-Indigenous staff, faculty and students to collaborate on initiatives that advance education about and understanding of the land's colonial history. 

The newly formed committee, approved by the Indigenous Education Council and the Joint Indigenous-Administrative Consultation Group, is co-chaired by associate professor and Chair of the Indigenous Studies Department, Dr. Robert Innes, and Associate Professor and Director of the Arts and Sciences Program, Dr. Beth Marquis.

The committee’s goal is to share news stories about Indigenous initiatives and ongoing efforts to advance reconciliation and promote campus-wide learning opportunities on the topic of Truth and Reconciliation. These initiatives will be guided by four key priority areas identified by the Indigenous Strategic Directions of McMaster's Indigenous Education Council and the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada Calls to Action. These are research, education, student experience and Indigenous leadership.

Chrissy Doolittle, the director of Indigenous Student Services and a member of both the IEC and JIACG, spoke to the Silhouette about the goals of the committee and its makeup. “The committee is intentionally balanced so that we have approximately an equal representation from our Indigenous community on campus as well as non-Indigenous representatives from across the university. Having that balance helps give a different perspective that we can have other people take the lead on things that they can help advocate within their areas of the university and help support the communication efforts that are happening year-round,” said Doolittle. 

Having that balance helps give a different perspective that we can have other people take lead on things that they can help advocate within their areas of the university and help support the communication efforts that are happening year-round.

Chrissy Doolittle, Director
Indigenous Student Services

The committee will focus on facilitating opportunities for non-Indigenous campus community members to educate themselves about Indigenous culture, ways of knowing and history. Through this, it aims to contribute to redressing and raising awareness about the injustices of settler colonialism, particularly on National Day for Truth and Reconciliation, but also throughout the year. 

Additionally, the committee will create content that shares the stories of Indigenous students and faculty, co-develop communication frameworks throughout the year and support the planning of campus-wide events that promote Truth and Reconciliation. 

Doolittle mentioned that the Committee is launching a website to go along with communications efforts. "We hope it will become a designated place that people can go to for information, resources and opportunities to help support and fund Indigenous initiatives on campus year-round," said Doolittle.

The website features news stories pertaining to reconciliation on campus and also provides links to Indigenous departments and services..

“We had an overwhelming response from the non-Indigenous community across campus who were interested in joining the committee. It was very clear that there is a desire to learn more and to help further education at McMaster as well,” said Doolittle. 

We had an overwhelming response from the non-Indigenous community across campus who were interested in joining the committee. It was very clear that there is a desire to learn more and to help further education at McMaster as well.

Chrissy Doolittle, Director
Indigenous Student Services

Overall, the committee will serve as a resource to non-Indigenous community members seeking guidance in planning events and developing educational programs in support of Truth and Reconciliation. Information on the events and resources for National Day for Truth and Reconciliation can be found on the committee's website

Author