SRA to explore potential women's centre

Aissa Boodhoo-Leegsma

The Student Representative Assembly created an Ad-Hoc Committee to investigate the establishment of a Women and Trans Centre at their Oct. 14 meeting. While the motion to create the committee did not actually mandate the creation of a Women and Trans Centre, it is part of the ongoing discussions to better service women and trans needs.

Elise Milani, SRA Services Commissioner, proposed the idea, which aims to assess the need of, and create a model for, a potential on-campus centre.

In 2009, a student referendum was held to gauge students’ opinions on the creation of a women’s centre. The referendum failed because it did not reach quorum.

Last year’s SRA mandated an interim report that explored the overall process of opening a women’s centre and looked at case studies from other universities. The report was compiled primarily by a Women’s Studies class, led by professor Karen Balcom.

A new report, another step in the consultation and research process, would offer a specific operational model to address funding issues and logistical concerns and to conduct a needs-based analysis.

Milani expressed concern about simply interpreting need based on statistical data. She stated that a focus on quantitative evidence had come up in SRA discussion but that she felt strongly that “numbers don’t necessarily represent what a need is. If one in ten women need this, as an example … is that enough? Is that not enough? It’s [about] how do you measure when a need is valid.”

David Campbell, the Student’s Union VP Administration and member of the Ad-Hoc Committee, acknowledged that the committee’s primary task is determining and measuring the need for a campus women’s centre.

“I think [the SRA motion passing] is a good sign that we should look into the issue seriously. The issue needs to be addressed, whether it be through a women’s centre, expansion of our current service or better promotion of services.”

Campbell also mentioned that the MSU operated a campus women’s centre during two periods in the 1980s. Both times the centre was disbanded; the second time it was disbanded because it had ceased to be an open, inclusive and safe space and was therefore not fulfilling its mandate.

However, this time seems different. With growing reports of campus sexual assault, most recently seen on York and Ryerson’s campuses, Milani asserted that a women’s centre represents a fundamental and distinct service, especially in providing a safe space for women to speak about sexual assault or trauma.

“This [centre is] something that women at McMaster have been trying to do for a while … from talking to other women who have experienced trauma … and they feel disconnected from the issues. They are having mental health issues. And the closest place for them to go is a 20-minute bus ride downtown.”

She suggested that “SHEC is not necessarily prepared or trained to deal with these issues. And from what I’ve heard, the Wellness Centre reportedly has long wait times … [overall] it seems like women feel more comfortable going to a women’s centre.”

Milani welcomed input into this issue and also disclosed that the committee will have a diverse body of interests represented. Members on the committee will include representatives from the MSU, SRA, SHEC, Student Wellness Centre and McMaster Security Services.