Student-run Black owned businesses for all your hair and beauty needs

Arts and Culture

Stop breaking the bank and support businesses made for students by students

By: Krissy Butler

Hair and beauty services always pose two main challenges for university students: accessibility and affordability. As students face financial and academic pressures while pursuing their degree, they deserve to look and feel their best. However, it can be difficult to find a business that is able to accommodate the hair and beauty care needs of McMaster University's diverse population at an affordable price. Here are a few student-run Black-owned businesses that are both accessible and affordable for McMaster students! 

Mt Cutss

Specializing in a diverse range of hair types and hair textures, Mt is a skilled barber located within ten-minute walking distance from McMaster’s campus. This talented barber offers a wide range of haircut services to cater to his clientele’s diverse needs. Mt provides accessible and convenient services, providing clients with the option to receive a haircut onsite at his studio or, for an additional cost, a house call haircut.

Like a Princess Nailz

Like a Princess Nailz is run by Princess, a skilled Hamilton-based nail technician. Princess works in her home studio located near McMaster’s campus. LAP Nailz offers a variety of services, including gel manicures, custom press-on nails and acrylic designs. As seen on her Instagram page, Princess demonstrates her artistry and meticulousness with every client.

Tomi. T Locs and Braids

Tomi caters to a variety of hair styles and hair textures. The self-taught hairstylist showcases her skills on Instagram, through videos of her process, managing a diverse range of clients with different hair care needs. Her attention to affordability can provide students with a convenient and accessible way to look their best, especially during the midterm season.

“I enjoy the whole process of doing hair, it’s a hobby for me, which is why my prices are so low. I’m also aware that students are broke," said Tomi, in an interview.

Harmsartistry

For all things makeup, Harmony has you covered. This talented makeup artist demonstrates adaptability with each client’s unique needs to achieve their desired makeup look. Harmony offers a great range of services, linked on her Instagram business page, specializing in soft and full glam makeup. For all students who want a timeless makeup look for any memorable special occasion, Harmony can make it happen.