Swim team highlighted in Athlete of the Week awards following meet

Miguel Sibal
December 7, 2023

Podium placements at the Dean Boles Divisional for the men's and women's swim team leads to Sam Chisholm and Megan Deering receiving Marauder award

On Nov. 27, Sam Chisholm and Megan Deering from the men's and women’s swim team respectively won the Marauder Athletes of the Week awards. The honours were awarded to the two following outstanding first place performances at the Dean Boles Divisional Championships in St. Catherines, Ont. on Nov. 25 and 26. 

For the men's team, Chisholm picked up two individual gold medals in the meet, winning both the 400 and 1500 metre freestyle races. His silver medal finishes in the men’s 200 and 400 metre individual medley also helped in propelling the Marauders to the top of the podium with 1111 points. 

On the women’s team, Deering logged individual gold medals in women’s 50 and 100 metre breaststroke as well as the 50 and 100 metre butterfly. Along with recording first and fourth place results in the 200 metre medley and freestyle relays respectively, Deering recorded the most points for the women’s team on the way to a team gold for the meet. 

Along with recording first and fourth place results in the 200 metre medley and freestyle relays respectively, Deering recorded the most points for the women’s team on the way to a team gold for the meet. 

The women earned an outstanding 1209 points at the championship, besting the Brock University Badgers and the Queen’s University Gaels who earned 713.5 and 694.5 points as the silver and bronze medallists. 

Overall, McMaster University secured 66 podium place finishes across the meet with phenomenal all-around efforts by both the men and women’s team. 

Overall, McMaster secured 66 podium place finishes across the meet with phenomenal all-around efforts by both the men and women’s team.

Looking ahead to Jan. 2024, the Marauders set their sights on a tri-meet with the University of Waterloo and University of Guelph at the Ivor Wynne Centre on Jan. 20. They will take on a winter invitational meet at the University of Toronto on Jan. 21 as their last regular season event before the Ontario University Athletics championships from Feb. 15 to Feb. 18.