The Board of Directors report card: VP Finance Ryan MacDonald

Steven Chen
December 1, 2016

ryan-copyRyan MacDonald’s role as vice president (Finance) comprises the standard duties of overseeing the MSU’s budget, providing financial insight and some advocacy work.

Clarity and transparency have been points of focus over the course of his term thus far; MacDonald has made efforts to break down dense financial jargon into understandable monthly statements that may be accessed through the MSU website.

In addition, he hosted an MSU Open House event on Nov. 28, which gives the chance for students to talk to Board of Directors and SRA in a Q&A manner as they break down student fees and possible changes for the 2017/2018 budget cycle.

“We want to create a way where people can provide input, but in a way that is easy to use and students aren’t afraid to be able to speak up and say what they want to.”

MacDonald has without a doubt taken full advantage of his freedom in day-to-day activities to develop numerous projects with the student financial interest in mind. From revamping the TwelvEighty Business Plan, to evaluating Clubs funding, HSR Presto negotiation, Emergency Bursary and many more, Ryan has gone above and beyond with project planning and execution.

One of his largest projects this year was Homecoming. The concert package set a record with the third largest revenue driven by any campus concert in the province. Due to the Homecoming event, Campus Events had its best performance financially in at least the last five years.

While the vice president (Finance) is typically involved in advocacy, MacDonald has shown remarkable interest by serving as a delegate for the recent Ontario Undergraduate Student Alliance general assembly. On top of this, he was published on the OUSA Ancillary Fees Policy Paper, which discussed topics such as standalone ancillary fee protocol, transparency, student control and fair cost sharing.

MacDonald’s record is blemished with the recent incidences involving the Exclusive Club Card. As per his memo on the ECC referendum, MacDonald claimed there was no opt-out period for the card. In fact, there was an opt-out period. MacDonald retracted that statement.