Top 7 Procrastination Spots on Campus

Susie Ellis

1. Twelve Eighty

Whether it be for a quick lunch in between classes or a “let’s forget our assignments” #ThirstyThursday, 1280 is a place all Marauders have visited at least once to aid their procrastination. There’s a drink menu appropriately named to make you feel like you’re studying, and a food menu comprised of cheap “study” snacks of questionable quality. If 1280 doesn’t help distract you from learning, I don’t know what will.

News_TwelveEighty_Yoseif-Haddad_November-29feature

2. Cootes Paradise

Not only a great location for impromptu photo shoots, the wetland located just north of Campus is also a quiet place to relax and be one with nature. Cootes offers three hiking trails (or more if you decide to create your own) and a landscape so undeniably beautiful it will help you provide some variety amongst the selfies in your Instagram feed.

cootes

3. Club Space

Usually bustling with people from various meetings or events, Club Space is a microcosm of the McMaster community. Since McMaster has more than 300 different clubs, Club Space represents our schools flourishing diversity. You can join in some jams with MacBeat on Thursday nights, or battle a friend through tabletop games with the McMaster Board Game Society. Club Space always has something cool going on to help you forget about your responsibilities. Plus there’s usually free food kicking around.

clubspace

4. The McMaster Museum of Art

Voted Most Likely Place to Show Up on a Mac Student’s Instagram Account (if we’re not counting the arch), the McMaster Museum of Art is the perfect place to get that thoughtful, artistic picture. The art may be as confusing as the midterm you’re avoiding studying for, but hey, at least it looks nice. The exhibits change semi-frequently, making it easy to re-visit so you can achieve that quality #InstaArt aesthetic. Who knows, you may also learn something while you’re there too!

museum

5. Spotted at Mac

If you’re the type who likes to avoid work in class as well, then Spotted at Mac is the right procrastination spot for you. Although not technically a physical spot on campus, the popular student-run Facebook page is a place entrenched in the Mac community where you can easily waste an hour if need be. Spotted at Mac has content running back to January 2014, meaning there’s plenty of relatable McMaster posts to laugh at. If anything, you’ll be able to find some dank Mac memes to tag your friends in, helping them to procrastinate too.

spotted

6. David Bradley Athletic Center (DBAC)

You can’t run away from your assignments, but you can certainly try to at the David Bradley Athletic Center. Smash your anger out on the squash court, sweat out your tears at the Pulse or soak up the unproductivity in the pool, DBAC has it all. The athletic center was essentially built for students to take a break from studying, so you really can’t go wrong with going with a quick workout.

DBAC copy

7. The Silhouette Office

Operating since the 1930’s, the Sil’s office has had arguably the longest standing relationship with procrastination at Mac. While, yes, the staff do manage to meet their deadlines (most of the time), the office is a place for relaxation, peer-based learning and fun times. If you listen in and hear the echoes of Phil Kim’s cackle, you KNOW work isn’t being done.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKD6HDYji2v/?taken-by=mcmastersilhouette