Ward 1 councillor candidate: Sophie Geffros

Ryan Tse
Est. Reading Time: 1 minute
Photo C/O www.sophiegeffros.ca

Sophie Geffros is the working youth coordinator for the Ontario New Democratic Party, where they help young people access resources and protect their labour rights. For over a decade, Sophie organized rallies, advised on policies and worked with city council.

This year, Geffros helped organize and facilitate the Elect More Women campaign and the Women’s March Forward rally. They were also one of the founders of the McMaster Students’ Union Maccess service, focused on supporting students with disabilities.

Geffros’ three main priorities for Ward 1 are safe and affordable housing, reliable transit and cyclist and pedestrian safety.

Regarding housing, Geffros plans to implement landlord licensing, which will require landlords to register their units and submit them for inspection.

Geffros previously organized the #fixtheHSR campaign in 2017. Their further plans involve pushing for year-round 51 University bus service and advocating for LRT.

“I am very aware that LRT will be life-altering for McMaster students and faculty, as well as for the residents of West Hamilton in general, when we wish to access services, retail outlets, and resources in the downtown core and the East End,” said Geffros.

Geoffros believes their firsthand experience with the issues affecting students will aid them.

“I can promise that over the next four years, everyone will be a priority,” said Geffros.

More information about the candidate's platform can be found at www.sophiegeffros.ca

[button link="http://www.thesil.ca/meet-your-ward-1-councillor-candidates/" color="silver"] Return to all candidates[/button]