City council unanimously ratifies agreement with HSR workers union

Noah Bradley
December 7, 2023

Following months of negotiations and a recent strike, HSR workers receive a four year annual wage increase and increased health benefits in new agreement

On Monday, Nov. 27, Hamilton city council voted to ratify a four-year collective agreement with the union representing Hamilton Street Railway workers, putting an end to concerns regarding additional transit strikes in the near future.

This agreement follows the recent week-long transit strike by HSR workers. The strike was in response to a failure to negotiate a renewed workers contract with increased wages to account for inflation earlier in August.

Since the beginning of 2023, the HSR and Amalgamated Transit Union Local 107, the union which represents HSR workers, have been negotiating terms for an renewed employment contract.  When negotiations continued to stall in August, 99 per cent of HSR workers voted in favor of a strike mandate if the city failed to improve its offer for a new contract. 

Hamilton presented its final offer for a renewed contract to the union on Oct. 24, which included a 3.75 per cent salary increase in the first year, followed by a three per cent increase each year for three years after. 

At the beginning of November, the union stated that 94 per cent of its members had voted to reject this offer. Eric Tuck, the president of the union, stated that the wage increases proposed by the city fell short of accounting for inflation and the rising cost of living.

“Our members were infuriated with the latest proposal as it falls short of inflationary pressures and the cost of living,” said Tuck in a press release. 

Our members were infuriated with the latest proposal as it falls short of inflationary pressures and the cost of living.

Eric Tuck, president, ATU Local 107

The strike ended on Nov. 16 after one week, upon a tentative agreement being reached at approximately 2 a.m. The agreement did not include an increase in the initial proposed wage increase, but rather increases to health benefits and increased bereavement leave.

On Thursday, Nov. 24, union members voted with 81 per cent in favor of ratifying the new agreement. Hamilton city council then voted unanimously to ratify the agreement the following Monday, Nov. 27. 

Following ratification by both parties, Mayor Andrea Horwath stated that she was glad an agreement had been reached.

"We know that life is getting more expensive for everyone and I'm proud that we were able to reach an agreement that was fair to our employees and the people of Hamilton," said Horwath.

We know that life is getting more expensive for everyone and I'm proud that we were able to reach an agreement that was fair to our employees and the people of Hamilton.

Andrea Horwath, Mayor, city of Hamilton

On their website, the union stated that this agreement will avoid any further labor disruptions.

With the new agreement, in addition to the wage increase of 12.75 per cent over four years, HSR workers will see a one-time increase to health care benefits of $1,000. This will bring total health care benefits to $2,000 in 2024, however this amount will return to $1,000 in 2025.