Indigenous studies launches course titled "Two Row on the Grand Paddle"

The new experiential course immerses students in Haudenosaunee culture, reconciliation, and land-based learning through a ten-day canoe journey along the Grand River

This past summer, the Indigenous Studies Department ran for the first time a new course titled "Two Row on the Grand Paddle." Associate Professor Bonnie Freeman led this experiential learning opportunity, which was available to students for the first time.

The course aimed to deepen students' understanding of Haudenosaunee culture, treaty history, and reconciliation through hands-on participation in the annual "Two Row on the Grand Paddle" canoe journey.

Freeman, who is Algonquin Mohawk and a member of the Six Nations of the Grand River Territory, has been involved in the canoe journey for almost ten years. She sees the course as a chance for students to connect what they learn in the classroom with real-life experiences.

"It was important for me to show [students]… that when we learn from an academic perspective, these theories and experiences, it's so much different than when we put them into practice," said Freeman.

It was important for me to show [students]... that when we learn from an academic perspective, these theories and experiences, it's so much different than when we put them into practice.

Bonnie Freeman, Associate Professor
Indigenous Studies Department

She stressed that this course was not just an academic exercise but an immersive experience intended to build connections with Indigenous teachings, the land, and one another.

The "Two Row on the Grand" journey is based on the historical Two Row [Gaswéñdah] Wampum Treaty between the Haudenosaunee and Dutch settlers. During the course, students canoed along the Grand River, which is tied to the Haldimand Treaty lands. They had the opportunity to engage with traditional Indigenous teachings and cultural practices and participate in discussions regarding reconciliation throughout the ten day journey.

Freeman’s engagement with land-based Indigenous learning began during her university days. The idea for this course stemmed from those early experiences. "It was a spiritual journey, and I was immersed in the ceremony, with horses, on the land, and learning those teachings," said Freeman, reflecting on her first exposure to land-based learning. Her passion for integrating these life-changing experiences into academic programs has driven her commitment to making the canoe journey a part of the Indigenous Studies Department's course offerings.

According to Freeman, the course was received with great enthusiasm from the student. "They said it was completely life-changing for them," said Freeman. She added that students appreciated the opportunity to apply what they had been learning in classrooms in a meaningful and practical manner.

The course involved facing physical challenges like navigating rapids and developing paddling skills. It also focused on promoting reconciliation in a practical and community-based manner. The course highlighted the importance of establishing connections with the land and between Indigenous and non-Indigenous communities.

Freeman recalled how some students reflected on the experience. "What was important... about reconciliation is the day-to-day living and the importance of having those relationships and establishing them," said Freeman.

The "Two Row on the Grand Paddle" course establishes a standard for expanding experiential learning within Indigenous studies as the Indigenous Studies Department expands its course offerings.

To enrol in Bonnie Freeman’s land-based learning course, students should review McMaster University’s offerings in Indigenous Studies or Social Work. Registration opens on the Two Row Paddle website in mid-March 2025, and the course is primarily aimed at third —and fourth-year students with relevant academic backgrounds. For detailed information and guidance, students are encouraged to consult academic advisors. As the course involves hands-on, experiential learning, it offers a unique opportunity to engage deeply with Indigenous knowledge and practices, fostering meaningful steps toward reconciliation.

Author