McMaster University's Varsity Wrestling Team Approaches a Breakthrough Season

A look into the varsity wrestling team's progress, and ambitions for the upcoming season under Coach Ahmed Shamiya

As the new school year begins, anticipation is building within McMaster University's varsity wrestling team. Under the leadership of Coach Ahmed Shamiya since 2019, the team is in a position to make a significant impact this season. After five years of steady progress in areas like adopting a winning mentality, the team is ready to transform potential into results.

In an interview with The Silhouette, Shamiya looked back on his time as coach and expressed confidence in the team's development. "When I started, there was a lot of potential, but [...] a lot of work to be done [...] I believe this year we will reap the fruits of our labour," said Shamiya.

When I started, there was a lot of potential, but [...] a lot of work to be done [...] I believe this year we will reap the fruits of our labour.

Ahmed Shamiya, coach, varsity wrestling team

He admitted that creating a winning culture has been a lengthy process. But that the team's confidence going into the season is a direct result of an altering of the team's beliefs, attitudes, and actions to place an emphasis on cooperation, discipline, and the common goal of success. "Although wrestling is an individual sport, it builds camaraderie like no other," Ahmed noted.

Coach Ahmed has led the club to several significant accomplishments since taking over in 2019 . The team has continuously performed well, winning two Rookie of the Year titles - which recognize outstanding first-year athletes for exceptional talent - to earning both the male and female Athletes of the Year. The women’s team, in particular, has made history with a top-three finish at the U-Sport National Championships.

Despite these accomplishments, the team's objectives for this year are still very high. "Our goal this year [...] is to be national [...] and OUA champions," said Shamiya. However, he also stressed that achieving these titles will need more than simply skill.

Our goal this year [...] is to be national [...] and OUA champions.

Perseverance and loyalty to their basic principles will be needed, particularly in the face of difficulties. "When things get difficult, it can be very easy to abandon your goal. It can be easy to abandon your values. It's just a matter of sticking to that no matter what happens," he stressed.

Wrestling is a demanding sport, and injuries have been a significant challenge for the team in the past. "In the past we've had championship teams on paper, but then two weeks, three weeks out from the national championships, one of our key wrestlers will get injured and will not be able to wrestle that tournament" said Shamiya. In the interview, Coach Ahmed emphasizes the need to balance pushing athletes to their limits whilst also ensuring optimal recovery. A key wrestler missing from the lineup can severely impact the team’s chances at a national title, making injury prevention a top priority.

Coach Ahmed is optimistic about the direction of the McMaster wrestling team as they get ready for another tough season. “[Brock has] been very dominant [...] and you got to give them credit [...] but I truly believe that [...] in time, we will pass them. It's not a matter of how, it's a matter of when – and I truly believe that” said Shamiya.

[Brock has] been very dominant [...] and you got to give them credit [...] but I truly believe that [...] in time, we will pass them. It's not a matter of how, it's a matter of when – and I truly believe that.

According to Shamiya, the culture of the team, which prioritizes academic and athletic achievement, will also see its members implement the teachings they have learned in their personal and professional life, off the wrestling mat. "Excellence is a transferable skill," Ahmed emphasized, "the pursuit of greatness will make you so much better as a person and that will translate to all aspects of life post wrestling”.

As the McMaster wrestling team heads into the new season, the strong foundation they’ve built over the last five years sets them up for continued growth and success. With a clear vision and a commitment to their values, the team feels ready to take on the challenges ahead.

Author