MPP Sarah Jama opened independent office following removal from NDP caucus

Noah Bradley

MPP Jama moves forward representing Hamilton-Centre as an independent, vowed to sue Premier Ford for libel, fight censure in the legislature

On Tuesday Nov. 14, Hamilton Centre MPP Sarah Jama opened her independent office, resuming in person hours and case work for the first time since her recent removal from the New Democratic Party caucus.

During her speech at the opening of the office, Jama outlined her goals moving forward as an independent and her plans to address her current censure in the provincial legislature. 

Jama’s removal from the NDP party on Oct. 23 came two weeks after she released a statement on Oct. 10 calling for a ceasefire by Israel in Gaza. She also called for Canada to call for a ceasefire, for Israel to stop restricting water, food and humanitarian aid from entering Gaza and for an “end to all occupation of Palestinian land.” 

Ontario NDP leader Marit Stiles stated that Jama’s removal was due to some of the actions she undertook following her statements on the Israel-Hamas conflict having “contributed to an unsafe work environment for staff.” 

On the same day as her removal from the NDP, the Ontario legislature passed the Ford government's motion to censure Jama. As a result, Jama cannot be recognized by the Speaker to partake in discussion in the parliament. At her speech at the opening of her independent office, she stated that the Ford government would cease her censure if she removed her initial statements and apologize and that she would not concede to these demands.

While speaking, Jama also revealed that she did not learn of her removal from the NDP from party leader Stiles directly, but through a general email that was sent out to all party members informing them of her removal. 

I found out at the same time everyone else did, as I was rolling into my seat.

Sarah Jama, MPP, Hamilton Centre

Jama addressed questions regarding her ability to represent her Hamilton Centre constituents as a result of being barred from speaking in parliament, in which she made clear that she is currently pursuing legal action against her censure. 

“I have no intention of sitting there censured. I'll be doing everything I can to prove that it was an illegal censure,” said Jama.

I have no intention of sitting there censured. I'll be doing everything I can to prove that it was an illegal censure.

Sarah Jama, MPP, Hamilton Centre

Furthermore, Jama affirmed that she would be pursuing legal action against Premier Ford for libel, in response to his accusations of antisemitism against her. 

Jama emphasized that moving forward from her party removal and censure, she is focusing on representing the people of Hamilton Centre and working for the issues which she has always been committed to. Jama stated that she is presently concerned with addressing the rising cost of living, accessibility for disabled individuals especially in the midst of the recent transit strike and childhood poverty in Hamilton. 

My priority is to focus on Hamilton Centre and the people here who need support.

Sarah Jama, MPP, Hamilton Centre

Jama stated her independent office is now open to the public from 9am to 4pm every day other than Wednesday for her constituents to come in and voice their concerns.